Bachelor in Information Systems
Solving problems in a connected world.
1st Degree in Europe to be accredited in Information Systems by ABET.
“ Upcoming Edition ”
11 SEP 2023
Call for applications 3rd round 03 Apr – 26 May 2023
Duration 31 weeks, full-time
Format On campus
Award Incentive prize
As a high school merit student, at the time of choosing the course I wanted to follow, I tried to choose a course that would give me the best opportunities and quality of teaching. NOVA IMS was the perfect choice, standing out for its prestige, academic excellence, focus on innovation and close relationship with the labor market, in an area that is constantly growing. The Degree in Information Systems and Technologies, which, in addition to technological skills such as programming, combines this with business and social sciences, is an extremely complete, dynamic and challenging course, that has not failed to surprise me from the first moment. I strongly recommend NOVA IMS not only at the level of teaching, but for its welcoming and family atmosphere, which motivates me continuously.
Why this program?
NOVA IMS’s Information Systems (IS) program combines aspects of computer science, information technology, and business management with a humanities and social sciences-based education to provide you with an uncommonly well-rounded portfolio. You will be uniquely positioned for an impactful career in an increasingly digitized and connected world, able to adapt to rapid evolution across industries.
Want to use technologies to benefit companies, governments, and society? NOVA IMS offers one of the world’s best undergraduate IS program, 1st Degree in Europe to be accredited in Information Systems by ABET*, and will help you do just that—there is no better place to become a tech leader than NOVA IMS.
As an Information Systems program, you will select a focused concentration to provide a deep dive into a subject that interests you.
*ABET is a North American accreditation agency, world leader in quality certification and in encouraging innovation in academic programs in applied science, computing, engineering and technology related fields.
With The Bachelor in Information Systems I will acquire a set of tools affecting business processes such as E-Commerce, Supply Chain Management (SCM), Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP), Knowledge Management Systems (KMS) and Customer Relationship Management (CRM) in all key areas of expertise to create value in businesses. / I will learn the skills required to plan and organize all data processing, storage and recovery, as well as design and build computer APPS, or to create and manage a computer network or other information systems. / I will become recognized as a Professional – Certification IPMA and ITIL Foundation.
Learning by design
| Every academic program has been designed to provide clear and ambitious learning outcomes. These learning outcomes give you an understanding of what you will be able to do at the end of the course. We develop each academic program by designing modules that grow your abilities towards the learning outcomes and help you to explain what you can offer to employers. Find out more about our approach to teaching and learning.
Students who complete this degree will be able to:
- Analyze a complex computing problem and to apply principles of computing and other relevant disciplines to find solutions.
- Design, implement, and evaluate an IT solution to meet a given set of IT requirements in the context of information systems.
- Communicate effectively in a variety of professional contexts.
- Recognize professional responsibilities and make informed judgments in computing practice based on legal and ethical principles.
- Perform effectively as a member or leader of a team involved in information systems activities.
- Support the provision, use and management of information systems in an appropriate environment.
Who is it for?
Did you enjoy computer science or more technical courses in high school, but are mostly interested in the practical and social applications of technology? Do you have a passion for business and want to use advanced technology to change how companies work? Do you want to learn how data and technology can be harnessed for social good?
Our Bachelor in Information Systems is aimed at all high school finalist students, who are looking for a college education that allows them to master Information Technologies in the operational management of the organizations, the creation of new products, services and business processes.
A degree in Information Systems aims at training professionals who are characterized by the ability to make the connection between the different business areas and the area of information systems. Being experts in analysis, design and implementation of information systems whose main task to improve the quality of decision making in organizations.
NOVA IMS is recognized by Celonis, world leader in Process Mining, as Academic Center of Excellence along with London School of Economics, Central Michigan University, Arizona State University.
NOVA IMS was and is a pioneer in converting data into value, with more than 30 years of experience and success accumulated in this area. NOVA IMS is the information management school of NOVA University Lisbon, with nationally and internationally recognized pedagogical skills in “data science and analytics” and “information systems”. Among universities founded less than 50 years ago and across most of the significant World University Rankings 2021 [Financial Times, QS, Eduniversal, U-Multirank, Times Higher Education, Leiden Ranking], NOVA University Lisbon stands in the European TOP 10.
NOVA IMS programs are internationally accredited, and several Masters and Post Graduations have been classified in positions of clear leadership by Eduniversal [the international agency that publishes annual ranking of the best Masters and MBAs in the world]: Master in information Management ranked 1st in the world, Master in Statistics and Information Management ranked 2nd in the world, Postgraduate in Information Management and Business Intelligence in Healthcare ranked 3rd in the world,
Master in Data Driven Marketing ranked 3rd in Western Europe are examples of such excellent programs to name just a few, placing it among the world leading schools of information management. NOVA IMS Master of Science in Geospatial Technologies has been selected by the European Commission as one of the most excellent Master Programs in Europe, and NOVA IMS Bachelor has the 1st Degree in Europe to be accredited in Information Systems by ABET. NOVA IMS was the 1st institution in the Iberian Peninsula to join iSchools, an international organization that brings together leading universities in research and teaching of information sciences. It is the 1st university outside the USA to achieve the GEOINT [Geospatial Intelligence] accreditation by the United States Geospatial Intelligence Foundation (USGIF), and is accredited member of UNIGIS, an international network of leading schools in Geographic Information Systems.
| Management Sciences
| Mathematics and Statistics
| Social and Behavioral Sciences
- Business Management
- Computation I
- Information Systems
- Linear Algebra
- Mathematical Analysis I
- Organizations Behavior
- Computation II
- Mathematical Analysis II
- Personal Development I
- Statistics and Probability Distributions
- Technologies and Web Apps
- Theory and Practice of Information Systems
- Computation III
- Databases I
- Information Technologies Hardware and Software
- Statistical Inference
- Systems Analysis
- Computer Networks & Cloud Computing
- Databases II
- Human – Computer Interaction
- Information Systems Project Management
IPMA Certificate [optional]
- Mobile Apps Development
- Web Marketing and E-business
- Artificial Intelligence
- Business Process Management
- Data Analysis
- Data Mining
- Geospatial Intelligence
- Personal Development II
- Information Systems Project
As part of the mobility program, students are encouraged to spend the last semester in another European Higher Education institution.
- Information Systems Project II
- Entrepreneurship and Project Analysis
- Geospatial analytics
- Informatics and Information Law
- Information Systems Seminar
- Innovation management
- Machine Learning
- Nonparametric and Computational Statistics
- Remote Sensing
- Risk Management
- Intelligent Systems
- Web Analytics
WHERE WILL AN INFORMATION SYSTEMS DEGREE FROM NOVA IMS TAKE ME?
Systems Analyst / Specialist in development of information systems / Director of Information Systems / Project Manager Information Systems / Information Systems Consultant / Database Administrator and Programmer / Decision Support Systems Consultant / BPM Consultant – Business Process Engineering / Expert in Implementation of Information Systems
As the world becomes increasingly interconnected, our students are in high demand. Graduates of the IS program are recruited by a wide range of employers in global consulting, manufacturing, consumer products, finance, and technology. ALTICE, EUROSTAT, KPMG, MICROSOFT, NOS, ORACLE, Pwc, REUTERS, ROFF, SONAE, TAP Air Portugal, and VODAFONE are just a few of the companies that recruit here each year.
There has been a strong and growing job market for IS graduates, and you will find our alumni working with big consulting firms, major software and tech companies, start-ups, and government agencies.
With 98.1%* employability rate the most influential companies recruit NOVA IMS Information Systems graduates.
* Data published in 2020 by the Infocursos Portal of the Ministry of Higher Education.
to choose NOVA IMS.
to go to Lisbon.
Ready to start
This call for applications for NOVA IMS degrees, under the International Student statute, is addressed to students who are not Portuguese nationals and are not nationals of an EU Member State.
We welcome applicants without traditional entry qualifications as we base decisions on our own assessment of qualifications, knowledge and previous work experience. We may waive formal entry requirements based on judgement of academic potential.
If you have completed your secondary education and have a diploma of entry to university studies in your country, you can apply to NOVA IMS.
If you have the equivalent of high school and your grades will be published in August 2022, you can apply to NOVA IMS.
Applicants must pass an admission examination in mathematics and show proof of proficiency in English (English is your first language or you have previously studied in English). You will be exempt from taking the English test if you have one of the following certificates: B2 in First or FCE; IELTS above 5.5; or TOEFL above 72.
Applicants must pass the interview (remotely) with the program coordinator.
- Application form duly completed; Application Form_Undergraduate Data Science programs
- Copy of personal identification document or passport, which expressly sets out the applicant’s nationality;
- Transcript of the last two years;
- Copy of diplomas/education certificates/training, namely the qualification giving access to higher education in the country of origin or equivalent qualification;
- Curriculum Vitae
- Proof of proficiency in English;
- Declaration, under oath, that the applicant is not covered by any of the items listed in Article 2, paragraph 2; Declaration_Under_Oath _NOVA IMS
- Certificate of residence issued by the country where the applicant currently resides.
Note: In the event of invitation to the interview, the applicant must submit/deliver the originals of the documents referred or certified copies thereof, by the control entity where the document was issued, until the registration period.
Applications for the Bachelor in Information Management must be submitted to the following email address firstname.lastname@example.org. Submitting the application form entails a non-refundable cost. The examination of the application begins upon receipt of payment of the application fee of 600 TND.
3rd Round Extended Call for application from April 03rd to May 26th, 2023
Once you submit your application, it undergoes an initial review by INODEV and then, in a second stage, is forwarded to the program director who will evaluate it to ensure that the program corresponds to your objectives and profile.
- Interview with INODEV academic coordinator (Face-to-face): From April 04th, 2023 to May 27th, 2023;
- Written English exam (online) – only for those who do not provide proof of English proficiency: June 02nd, 2023;
- Written Math exam (online)*: June 05th, 2023;
- Interview with the program coordinator (ZOOM): June 06th, 2023;
- Final classification and ranking of candidates;
- Deadline for Disclosure and Communication of Results: June 07th, 2023;
- Date for complaint about the application results: Date will be announced in due course; until June 14th, 2023;
- Registration and enrollment: Beginning of September 2023.
* Candidates will be provided with the topics for the written mathematics exam.
INODEV will notify you of the outcome of your application. If you are accepted, INODEV will issue your acceptance letter. From this point, your enrollment will be considered firm by both you and NOVA IMS.
We will contact you with information on pre-program preparation. Please note that INODEV will help you prepare your visa application and find accommodation according to your preferences.
- Successful candidates must complete their registration and enrollment within the specific deadlines and conditions set out in the calendar applicable to this call for applications;
- If a candidate does not register within the deadline, the following candidates on the admission list will be called in their place.
We recognize the most high-achieving students by funding annual awards that honor and celebrate their achievements. Recipients of these awards demonstrate academic excellence in course units. Recipients often go beyond expectations to distinguish themselves during the academic journey. These awards are just one way NOVA IMS encourages an environment of unparalleled academic excellence for our next generation of leaders.
Awarded annually to outstanding students who demonstrate excellent academic performance.
Join NOVA IMS’s professional alumni network
Once you complete a NOVA IMS program, you join NOVA IMS’s alumni network, an outstanding global community of talented leaders who will support you long-term.